Saturday, October 20, 2012

Birds of a feather smoke cigarettes together

I found Y.C. Wee's recent (2008) paper on anting fun to read. In it, he describes how Kelvin K.P. Lim (probably from Singapore) saw a Javan myna bird "carefully picking up live kerengga ants and placing them, one at a time, under its wings. Each time it did this, the bird went into a curious dance that involved flopping around on the grass with its wings outstretched and beak opened." (There are pictures.)
"Anting" as I have learned in my brief professional camping experience, is a process where birdies use ants either as oil (in springtime when shedding) or, as insect repellent. Apparently, ants are filled with enough repellents to guard off countless insects- when these are squished.
What is of most interest to me, however, is the fact that many of these birds get hooked on the feeling of anting. In fact, two scientists, whose names escape me at the moment, have concluded that the feeling of "anting" is similar to the effect nicotine has in humans.
I couldn't find the photos I mentioned above.